Admissions & New Entrants
Children who are due to start school in September 2019 need to apply online before 15th January 2019. If any prospective parents would like to visit our school, we would be more than happy to show you around. Contact the school office to make an appointment to view on 016973 20579.
Year 6 pupils moving up to secondary school in September 2019 must apply online, the closing date for applications is October 31st October 2018. If you require any further information, please contact Miss Hodgson.
Oughterside Foundation School Admissions Policy 2018
All children living in the school’s catchment area of Prospect, Oughterside, Hayton and Gilcrux will be offered a place subject to the school’s present capacity of 12 per year group. In the event of there being more applicants than places, children will be admitted on the basis of the following order of priorities. They are:
- Any child “looked after” i.e. in public care; giving priority if necessary, to the youngest child,
- Children from within the catchment area who have siblings’ in the school at the time of their admission,
- Children from outside the catchment area who have siblings in the school at the time of their admission; giving priority to those with the youngest siblings.
- Children from outside the catchment area who have siblings in the school at the time of their admission who were directed by the ‘LA.’ in the absence of a place being available in their catchment school,
- Children from within the catchment area with exceptional social, medical or educational needs,
- Other children from within the catchment area, giving priority to those for whom access to an alternative school is the most problematic,
- Children from outside the catchment area with exceptional social, medical or educational needs,
- Children from outside the catchment area, giving priority to those who live closest to the school, measured in a straight line on the map.
- The ‘LA.’ suggests including step children and foster children living with the same family at the same address,
- If parents feel they qualify under this criterion, they should be prepared to provide evidence,
- If parents feel there is exceptional social, medical or educational need they must provide full details at the time of application. We would be justified in seeking verification from medical, social work or ‘E.W.O.’ reports. Priority can only be given on these grounds if we are satisfied that the child’s needs can only be met at Oughterside School.
- The criteria outlined above will be strictly followed there being one exception. If a child has a statement of Special Educational Needs naming Oughterside School then irrespective of the criteria the child will be admitted, in these circumstances the Governors have a statutory duty to admit the child concerned.
Oughterside School Statement of Policy: Admissions