History of our School
Oughterside Foundation School is a mixed primary school taking children from Two years old, to Year 6 (11 year olds). It was originally built and opened 147 years ago (1875/1876).
The building has had various alterations during the course of that time. In the early days the school served a farming and mining population, but today the area includes people who follow a range of careers. A number of people in professional positions send their children to Oughterside Foundation School.
In April 1965, Hayton School closed, followed by the closure of Gilcrux School in 1971. The children from both schools were transferred to Oughterside School which was then remodelled during 1972/1973 to cater for the increase in numbers.
In October 1996, a petition from parents requesting a ballot for grant maintained status was presented to the Governors. The petition contained the names of over half the parents of children registered at school.
A ballot was held through the offices of the Electoral Reform Society, London. Most parents voted and there was an 85% majority in favour of applying for grant maintained status. The School was incorporated as a grant maintained school in April 1997. In September 1999 the school was allocated foundation status by the Department for Education.
Governors (mostly parents and teachers) are charged with conducting school affairs under very strict guidance from the Department of Education and Employment in London, and Cumbria LEA.